Our speaker is Brady Heward, MD, Co-Director of Clinical Affairs, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Vermont Larner College of Medicine. This presentation introduces key concepts related to the social and structural determinants of health and how they apply to substance use disorders, with particular focus on implications for rural communities.
- Define social and structural determinants of health
- Identify how social determinants lead to inequity in health, healthcare, and outcomes
- Identify ways that social determinants impact substance use and treatment
- Discuss how COVID-19 has impacted social determinants of health and substance use
- Discuss implications for clinical care and advocacy for individuals and communities