We offer resources and support for assessing and treating OUD, including:
We provide protocols and consultation services via in-person, online and telehealth platforms to support the successful delivery of evidence-based pharmacotherapies for treating OUD. This includes support with:
- Buprenorphine and methadone induction, maintenance and taper regimens
- Evaluating opioid agonist and withdrawal effects
- Naltrexone induction and maintenance
- Sustained-release medications (e.g., 1- and 6-month buprenorphine formulations, monthly naltrexone)
Clinical Support Aids
We can help you choose and implement the resources to support your patients’ treatment adherence, outcomes, and retention. We will provide the below resources, hardware and/or software, bring these to your practice, and provide hands-on support with their initial implementation and ongoing use.
- Evidence-based assessments for evaluating patient OUD severity and/or treatment needs (e.g., Addiction Severity Index, UVM Treatment Needs Questionnaire) via paper, iPad and/or web-based platforms
- Automated clinic systems for conducting random call-backs for medication adherence using an Interactive Voice Response (IVR) phone system
- Biochemical monitoring of patients’ recent drug use (e.g., urine toxicology testing, breathalyzer)
- Computerized portable medication dispensers that securely store patients’ medication for up to 28 days and release each day’s dose at a staff-programmed time. Locks and alarms prevent tampering or access to medication outside the pre-set time.
We will help your team identify, customize and implement evidence-based therapies for supporting your patients’ abstinence and clinical engagement, such as:
- Community Reinforcement Approach, a form of behavior therapy aimed at improving family relations, learn a variety of skills to minimize drug use, receive vocational counseling, and develop new recreational activities and social networks
- Incentive-based behavioral interventions tailored to support the patient outcomes you need (e.g., medication adherence, counseling attendance, retention)
We provide consultation, coaching and hands-on support across a wide range of areas and platforms to any professionals seeking information, training & resources in science-based methods.
- In-person/one-on-one consultation and coaching with our Clinician Advisory Board members, who are community providers with deep expertise in treating complex patients with OUD, SUDs and other co-occurring issues
- Support via web-based, telemedicine (e.g., Project Echo) and phone platforms, expert-led seminars and curricula with CME credits available
- Financial incentives for completion of buprenorphine waiver training
- A provider scholarship program to facilitate hands-on training at UVM in science-based practices for addiction
We supply resources for reducing the individual and public health consequences associated with OUD.
- Free doses of intranasal naloxone (Narcan) and instructions on its use
Free fentanyl detection strips and training in their use
- iPads pre-loaded with self-administered knowledge assessments and educational modules about evidence-supported HIV, Hepatitis C, and overdose-prevention. Can be used by patients while waiting for appointments.
- In-person consultations with pharmacists to update your team’s prescribing and medication safety protocols
We provide consultation, technical assistance, and ongoing support to help providers and policymakers interested in new or expanded models of care.
- Hub-and-spoke OUD treatment model
- Low-barrier and/or interim buprenorphine treatment
- Buprenorphine initiation in emergency department settings
- Mentorship, support and incentives for providers interested in becoming waivered
- Peer support and consultation for providers and staff managing complex patients
The above menu is not exhaustive. If you don’t see what you are looking for, reach out to us at CORA@uvm.edu with your specific needs and questions!